Gmail is the world’s leading free email service provided by the technology giant, Google, and is used by millions of customers globally. It provides secure webmail as well as POP3 and IMAP4 protocols for users to access its services. Gmail was first launched in April 2004 as an invitation-only beta release email service and was upgraded from that status in July 2009.
Setting up an email account with the service provider and ensuring that all the gmail account settings are in place is a fairly convenient task which can be achieved by following the below-mentioned process:
Setting up an account –
- Go to www.gmail.com
- Click on ‘Create Account’
- Fill up the signup form with required details such as First and Last name, Desired username (this is the email address a customer will use), Desired Password, and Date of Birth
- Agree to the terms and conditions by clicking on check box at the bottom of the signup form
- Click ‘Next Step’
- Set up recovery options by providing an alternative email address and a phone number (this will be the recovery email and phone which will help in recovering the Gmail account in case it is blocked for some reason)
Once a customer completes the process successfully, they will get a ‘Welcome’ page confirming that their free Gmail account has been created and is ready to use.
Signing in and signing out of an account –
To sign in, a customer needs to:
- Visit www.gmail.com
- Enter the username and password set during the time of registration
- Click ‘Sign in’
To sign out, a customer needs to:
- Locate the circle with the first initial of the first name or the avatar created during the registration on the top right-hand corner of the screen
- Click on the circle
- Select ‘Sign out’
After the registration procedure is complete, a customer can login to their new email account in order to customize their gmail account settings. Gmail lets the user set preferences as per need and choice. One can add a signature, vacation reply, create specific folders, create labels, change the font settings, add and remove contacts, and sync other email contacts with their Gmail address book.
There are a lot of other features that Gmail provides to its users. Here is a list of the most popular ones:
- Language preference – Gmail lets its users set a preferred language for their email communications. One can also change the language preference for other Google products such as the Google drive, Google Plus, and Google calendar through the ‘settings’ tab on their gmail account.
- Email notification – A user can choose how they want to be notified of an incoming email. They can choose to be notified for every email that comes to their inbox or set it specifically to notify only when an important email arrives.
- Inbox type – A user can select how they would like to see their Gmail inbox. They can choose for the inbox to show all important emails first, only unread emails first or only starred email first.